5/10/2006

Windows Hidden File Attribute

Recently, I used xcopy to backup all the files from a bad hard drive to another drive under Windows XP. After all the files got copied, the directory is hidden and cannot be seen. I tried to use attrib.exe to remove the hidden attribute, however the command warned me that the directory's system attribute is set and I cannot change it.


H:\>attrib -h enterprise
Not resetting system file - H:\enterprise

H:\>attrib -a enterprise
Not resetting hidden file - H:\enterprise

H:\>attrib -a -h enterprise
Not resetting system file - H:\enterprise


I then tried to read the online help. It turns out I need to specify the /s and /d switches, too. So, the command should be used like this.


H:\>attrib /s /d -s -h enterprise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home